HAWKEN servers are up and our team balance update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Help! Playing with a gaming mouse.

Game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowSkulkerer

ShadowSkulkerer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:29 AM

I recently got two of these

http://www.amazon.co...vidia gtx 660ti

And one of these

http://www.corsair.c...ming-mouse.html

I would just like to ask for some general advice on how to set these things up properly.

I do some minor dpi adjustments for instance and leave the rest alone, head into the game and try to set the weapons utility to the dedicated sniper button but it won't recognize that that button exists.   It will only recognize the main buttons and ONE of the side (back and foward for web browsing) buttons.  
  So I can hold this mouse's dedicated sniper button after clicking the middle mouse button to scope in and lower the dpi for some finer aiming but that's a hassle.   How do I get it to where when I hold the sniper button it scopes in and does it's lower sensitivity thing, then scopes back out upon release of the button.

I'm just looking for plenty of advice from people who know how the heck to handle a FPS mouse or gaming mice with programable clickies.   Because I have ZERO experience.   If I read some more I might get somewhere but please help.   Macros are complicated things as far as I'm concerned.  So treat me like an fuzzy bunny.

#2 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:54 AM

Just mail them to me...and i'll...uhh...mail them back with instructions....yeah....mail them back >.>

Hmm, is there an option within the mouses software to change the dedicated sniper button?
If not I suggest asking for hawken to recognize the button as a button.

Not sure what else to suggest as I've never used that mouse.

#3 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 05 2012 - 01:09 AM

As far as i know with gaming mice with many buttons most software only recognize 4 buttons max.

I am using a Logitech G700 and have found that to use more than 4 buttons in hawken I need to use the mouse software to bind the other buttons to a keyboard key for example: Mouse button 7 = NumPad 3.

Some games do however seem to detect the extra buttons without hassles, so I tend to make multiple mouse profiles.
Posted Image

#4 Akrium

Akrium

The Cute One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:11 AM

The game detects all the buttons on my mouse. Right/Left Main, 2 side buttons and the middle mouse button (aka scroll wheel button).

Make sure you have the most current drivers installed for your mouse and you're not using the generic ones your OS can supply. That is usually the first place to try to fix the issue.

If that does not work.. that means hawken may have to help code in the ability to use the mouse because the drivers are not talking to the game like every other driver for mice. Hope it isn't that....
The CockPit - Wednesdays 10pm EST/7pm PST/Thur 3am GMT. A group of players talking about the game you are playing.

Most of the time I'm just cute. The rest of the time I am killing you.

#5 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostShadowSkulkerer, on December 05 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

I do some minor dpi adjustments for instance and leave the rest alone, head into the game and try to set the weapons utility to the dedicated sniper button but it won't recognize that that button exists.   It will only recognize the main buttons and ONE of the side (back and foward for web browsing) buttons.  
  So I can hold this mouse's dedicated sniper button after clicking the middle mouse button to scope in and lower the dpi for some finer aiming but that's a hassle.   How do I get it to where when I hold the sniper button it scopes in and does it's lower sensitivity thing, then scopes back out upon release of the button.

Go to Corsair's website and find the most current driver FOR THAT MOUSE. Install it. If it came with a disk, pop it in and install the software. This will help you with any issues with the mouse and get it working as optimally as possible.

The real issue here is that the zoom in function is the special ability of the Sabot Rifle. All the weapons have special abilities. Thus, when you go to use another class, your DPI will be halved when you're trying to use your weapon's special ability.

If you plan on playing SS exclusively, this is okay. If you have all the drivers and software installed, you should be able to go into the options to the control setup and modify this as you would any other game. If it doesn't work (AND YOU HAVE SOFTWARE AND CURRENT DRIVERS) there isn't anything that can be done. Hope that helps!

Edited by marshalade, December 05 2012 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#6 nightsky

nightsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:02 PM

^ That. The driver pack should have a control panel type thing where you can adjust the sensitivity for a given DPI button and create an application profile to assign a keyboard button to a particular mouse button. Support for these extra mouse buttons is very spotty - off the top of my head, I know I have application profiles for my X5 for Crysis and the Borderlands games.

Assault - "Vae Victis" | Brawler - "Dominus" | Sharpshooter - "Memento Mori"

Bruiser - "Non Serviam" | Berserker - "Furia"

Posted Image

It's all good in the 'Hood.

#7 ShadowSkulkerer

ShadowSkulkerer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postnightsky, on December 05 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

^ That. The driver pack should have a control panel type thing where you can adjust the sensitivity for a given DPI button and create an application profile to assign a keyboard button to a particular mouse button. Support for these extra mouse buttons is very spotty - off the top of my head, I know I have application profiles for my X5 for Crysis and the Borderlands games.

^This.

You're reply made it clearest to me.   I most certainly had the latest software and firmware from their site, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to recognize the buttons or recognize them surreptitiously disguised as keyboard keys. (Which is fine by me.)   I'll have to go about trying to set it up this way now.  

I have one more question for you wonderful helpful people.  I can tie profiles to applications with my corsair mouse software.  But I can only seem to find the Hawken launcher as an application.   Is this the same as tying it to the game?

#8 nightsky

nightsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 06 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostShadowSkulkerer, on December 05 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

View Postnightsky, on December 05 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

^This.

You're reply made it clearest to me.   I most certainly had the latest software and firmware from their site, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to recognize the buttons or recognize them surreptitiously disguised as keyboard keys. (Which is fine by me.)   I'll have to go about trying to set it up this way now.  

I have one more question for you wonderful helpful people.  I can tie profiles to applications with my corsair mouse software.  But I can only seem to find the Hawken launcher as an application.   Is this the same as tying it to the game?
The .exe you want is in whatever drive and directory you installed Hawken in (for me, it's D:\Program Files\Hawken). From there, it's \InstalledHawkenFiles\Binaries\Win32\HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

Keep in mind this may change for the open beta.

Assault - "Vae Victis" | Brawler - "Dominus" | Sharpshooter - "Memento Mori"

Bruiser - "Non Serviam" | Berserker - "Furia"

Posted Image

It's all good in the 'Hood.

#9 Merxe

Merxe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:08 PM

@ShadowSkulkerer
I was thinking about buying this mouse. Could you tell me if the Sniper Button is easy and well fit to use? I mean, is the force needed to push that button just right, is the button in the right place etc.?
Can you ignore using the button altogether and foget about it or does it always remind you of being there?

#10 Rodar

Rodar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:54 AM

i've got the logitech g700 and a lot of games ignore the extra buttons. never thought about mapping buttons to keypad.
Posted Image

#11 ShadowSkulkerer

ShadowSkulkerer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostMerxe, on December 06 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

@ShadowSkulkerer
I was thinking about buying this mouse. Could you tell me if the Sniper Button is easy and well fit to use? I mean, is the force needed to push that button just right, is the button in the right place etc.?
Can you ignore using the button altogether and foget about it or does it always remind you of being there?

I can only say good things about the feel of this mouse.   It's not hard to press the sniper button but it has a satisfying click.  It's in the perfect location.  It isn't obtrusive.   The scroll wheel of course requires more pressure to click as a button to avoid accidental presses.   Seems like a great mouse to me.   And now I'm beginning to comprehend how to map it.   I'll keep learning more but I would highly recommend it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users