HAWKEN game servers will be unavailable on 4/24/14 at 9:30 a.m. PDT (GMT-7) as we deploy our April Update.
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Prioritise Dodge Controls over 180 turn

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:55 PM

Ok this is one to help the newbies in the game.

Prioritise the dodge left/right keys over the 180degree turn. If I press back + left/right + shift I do a 180 (Most common scenario: moving backwards and wanting to dodge a tow aimed at my face). This gets kind of frustrating and talking to my friends who are playing they have had similar issues. This isn't a major thing but it is an obstacle to beginners. It should be simple enough to implement.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#2 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:06 PM

turn your mouse to the left/right right before doing your side dodge then. And that's exactly what it's supposed to be, an obstacle for beginners, you gotta get used to controlling a robot, shouldn't be the same as a person.

Edited by Rei, December 26 2012 - 05:19 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#3 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:11 PM

one problem is that it always spins you one way.

would be nice if the mouse flow would control the spin flow.

#4 RayHanley

RayHanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostRei, on December 26 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

And that's exactly what it's supposed to be, an obstacle for beginners,
Can I get a source for this?

#5 absolofdoom

absolofdoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:16 PM

All he's saying is, if you don't let go of s before you try to dodge you spin instead. I can't say I've had a problem with it but I don't see what the problem would be with switching the priority to dodge.

#6 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postabsolofdoom, on December 26 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

All he's saying is, if you don't let go of s before you try to dodge you spin instead. I can't say I've had a problem with it but I don't see what the problem would be with switching the priority to dodge.
Responsiveness.
When I hit Shift+S, I want to 180 now. Even if I'm holding down A or D (or just letting off). I don't hit Shift+S by mistake.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#7 3rdfloo

3rdfloo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'd really just like an option for dodge, or at least 180 to be bindable to a key without the modifier.  I find that I want to fast move separately than dodge and vise-versa.  I shift move diagonally forward pretty often, and having to release shift and my forward/side keys to then re-depress shift+left/right to dodge being awkward. Accidentally turning rather than backing up in the heat of battle is also very easy to do with the current key set.  I know I can turn on the double-tap to sprint option, but that doesnt feel natural on a keyboard as it might on a game pad of sorts.

#8 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:07 AM

View Post3rdfloo, on December 26 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

I'd really just like an option for dodge, or at least 180 to be bindable to a key without the modifier.  I find that I want to fast move separately than dodge and vise-versa.  I shift move diagonally forward pretty often, and having to release shift and my forward/side keys to then re-depress shift+left/right to dodge being awkward. Accidentally turning rather than backing up in the heat of battle is also very easy to do with the current key set.  I know I can turn on the double-tap to sprint option, but that doesnt feel natural on a keyboard as it might on a game pad of sorts.

I tried the double tap option but i found it completely disabled the shift key. My expected result was to be able to shift to 'sprint' and then be able to double tap for the dodges and turns (much like the last unreal tournement).
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#9 KarnBishop

KarnBishop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:50 AM

Agreed, double tap feels weird and stops all forward momentum the moment you do it, and if shift is hold to power why do i have to constantly release it? Honestly if i could just map Power dodge left and power dodge right into one button using up the Q and E slots i would, theres no reason NOT to have this option as constantly spamming shift doesn't improve gameplay or player skill, its a pointless feature that could easily be simplified.

Edited by KarnBishop, December 27 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#10 Razorbath

Razorbath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 02:19 AM

I do this constantly and you should be able to boost backwards. Would it really be that hard to make 180 a different key? Perhaps shift + Q?

Can i get my exteel mech ported into this game soon? Id much rather pilot that then this toaster.

Edited by Razorbath, December 27 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#11 Joebeans

Joebeans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted December 27 2012 - 05:16 AM

I agree with the OP it should be removed or a priority should be added. I love the idea of being able to boost backwards as it feels natural to be able to do that. I never use or wish to use a 180' spin... its disorientating. If I wanna turn around I will do it myself XD.

It's like they added it for consoles.... Maybe its a clue... is Hawken coming to a console in the future?
Posted Image

Website:www.gamersplatoon.com                                                                                      Teamspeak:ts3.gamersplatoon.com

#12 Akrium

Akrium

The Cute One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 27 2012 - 05:44 AM

I never use shift-S.. unless I am doing a really really stupid maneuver and trying to catch a skilled player off guard. But to do so means I take my eyes off them... which is the why I never like doing shift-s.

You can be very mobile in the mechs.. you just need to learn on where to be looking when you slide and how to boost out of it afterwards into another slide.
The CockPit - Wednesdays 10pm EST/7pm PST/Thur 3am GMT. A group of players talking about the game you are playing.

Most of the time I'm just cute. The rest of the time I am killing you.

#13 Kitsunin

Kitsunin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:19 AM

As an option? This would be great.

But making it mandatory would be a terrible idea, I'm with AJK, I almost never move backwards in conjunction with dodges, because doing so means you might back into an area where there's a wall you aren't aware of since you can't see it (Moving backwards and all), and dodge into it.
On the other hand, I frequently do need to turn around whilst holding back and sideways.

Edit:

View PostJoebeans, on December 27 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

It's like they added it for consoles.... Maybe its a clue... is Hawken coming to a console in the future?
The reason it's there is because unlike other shooters, you're in a mech, so your turning speed is limited, and running away is actually an option. It's a necessary movement option, if you're playing skillfully.

Edited by Kitsunin, December 27 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#14 Joebeans

Joebeans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostKitsunin, on December 27 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

As an option? This would be great.

But making it mandatory would be a terrible idea, I'm with AJK, I almost never move backwards in conjunction with dodges, because doing so means you might back into an area where there's a wall you aren't aware of since you can't see it (Moving backwards and all), and dodge into it.
On the other hand, I frequently do need to turn around whilst holding back and sideways.

Edit:

The reason it's there is because unlike other shooters, you're in a mech, so your turning speed is limited, and running away is actually an option. It's a necessary movement option, if you're playing skillfully.

I can turn fast with no problem. shift+s is point less :P
Posted Image

Website:www.gamersplatoon.com                                                                                      Teamspeak:ts3.gamersplatoon.com

#15 Kitsunin

Kitsunin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostJoebeans, on December 27 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Either you're lying or you're cheating. There's a limit to how fast you can turn, unlike other FPS, and it takes a couple seconds to do so without using using fuzzy bunny+s.

Edit: Oh my gosh I typed...you know what, instead of shift+s. Hahahaha.

Edited by Kitsunin, December 27 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#16 Joebeans

Joebeans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted December 27 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostKitsunin, on December 27 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostJoebeans, on December 27 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Either you're lying or you're cheating. There's a limit to how fast you can turn, unlike other FPS, and it takes a couple seconds to do so without using using fuzzy bunny+s.

Edit: Oh my gosh I typed...you know what, instead of shift+s. Hahahaha.

LOL I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. It's my opinion. at the very least how about disable it then every one would be happy... lol.

Just one more question does mouse sensitivities have no affect?
Posted Image

#17 Kitsunin

Kitsunin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostJoebeans, on December 27 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

LOL I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. It's my opinion. at the very least how about disable it then every one would be happy... lol.

Just one more question does mouse sensitivities have no affect?
I'm just saying that, factually, it isn't possible to turn fast enough to be competitive using your mouse alone. Maybe doing so a little too harshly, though.

Higher mouse sensitivity means you don't have to move your mouse as much to turn, but you're still just as limited in the max speed at which you can turn.

Edited by Kitsunin, December 27 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#18 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 27 2012 - 08:37 AM

I agree with the OP it should be removed or a priority should be added. I love the idea of being able to boost backwards as it feels natural to be able to do that. I never use or wish to use a 180' spin... its disorientating. If I wanna turn around I will do it myself XD.

Boosting backwards @!%#s with the balance of the game. It's not there for a reason. It would drastically change how combat works, and not for the better.
The lack of a backwards boost makes you think about who you're engaging, when and where because you can't just easily boost straight back out of danger.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#19 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't think boost backwards should be implemented. Rockets are on the back of the robot so how would they face the front? I love the shift+s for a quick turn around but I feel the side dodge should take priority. This is just my feeling but I think it would overcome a lot of frustration in the game.

Edited by dEd101, December 27 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#20 absolofdoom

absolofdoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 26 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Responsiveness.
When I hit Shift+S, I want to 180 now. Even if I'm holding down A or D (or just letting off). I don't hit Shift+S by mistake.
Well yeah, I guess that's a good reason. Nevermind then, OP can rebind 180 to ctrl or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users