HAWKEN servers are up and our April Update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Movement improvements

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Saipyyyy

Saipyyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hello,

I've played  today for the first time the beta, a great game in my opinion.
While, I noticed that when I make special movements  (left / right and fly backwards) you must realse the W button.
My suggestion would be to implement that when you do your special movments that you can just push the W button.

#2 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia

Posted January 08 2013 - 10:44 AM

Not sure what you're talking about / suggesting. Could you please rephrase and clarify?
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#3 burns1124

burns1124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:05 AM

Pretty sure he is asking for a toggle-style throttle on the move forward, to always maintain forward movement/max walk speed (mechs change direction rather slowly, and if the weight/height scales are accurate, this is most likely a correct representation of the physics involved when a 10-30 Ton bipedal tank decides to quickly change it's direction in relation to its momentum, but I'm an armchair physicist at best) Regrettably, I don't believe this is something ADH would want given the current speed of the game, nor the players as when you utilize a "special maneuver" like the OP suggests, if you continue to hold W, you begin to boost forward, pinging you on radar, expending fuel, having to make wide turns because of pesky physics and map design etc.

tl;dr I doubt they would add a MMO style "auto-walk" with the mechanics of movement in their current state.

#4 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:09 AM

I wouldn't like an auto walk function, you're not traveling any great distance, so what's wrong with just holding down the "w" key?

Posted Image

#5 Saipyyyy

Saipyyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 06:33 AM

I mean when you want to move left and right while pushing shift u cant do it when you push W.
You must release W to do shift left right!

#6 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 09 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostSaipyyyy, on January 09 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

I mean when you want to move left and right while pushing shift u cant do it when you push W.

The reason for that is because holding shift and W will boost you forward. If you don't let go of W then it's going to assume that you still want to boost forward.

#7 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia

Posted January 09 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on January 09 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

The reason for that is because holding shift and W will boost you forward. If you don't let go of W then it's going to assume that you still want to boost forward.

Holding down A or D while boosting forward will "bend" you direction to a more diagonal trajectory.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#8 Fuchuzz

Fuchuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sounds like you need a new keyboard, with an anti ghosting or mechanical keyboard you can go left and right while boosting forward. At least that's how i interpret your post, if not i really have no idea what your talking about.

Edited by Fuchuzz, January 09 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#9 BursT_

BursT_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think I know exactly what you mean. When I first played only with keyboard and mouse, I didn't notice it at all, guess I was doing it right automatically due to my time in UT and Repulse (aka Genesis AD).

but then one day i felt like a goofball and bought myself this little toy:
http://www.amazon.co...e USB_3FS-2 USB

My configuration:
left switch = shift+A = dodge left
middle switch = shift+S =180° turn
right switch = shift + D = dodge right

Then I realized while tapping the switches with my foot, that I boost forward instead of dodging left/right. That was because I was still pressing W on the keyboard, while my foot triggerd shift+A... so I was accidently pressing shift+W+A at the same time. After a while I got used to taking my finger off W while operating the foot switches, but sometimes I still fuzzy bunny up.... and that's why I'm fully backing up your suggestion! :D

/edit: rofl, "scre w" becomes "fuzzy bunny" what kind of filter is that?!  :D

Edited by BursT_, January 09 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Precog Hawken Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts
  • LocationOort Cloud.

Posted January 09 2013 - 10:51 AM

REally, other than an air 180º turn plus a fix for the occasional primary/secondary firing (apparently) bug I can not see any other improvements about how to maneuver in the game.

P.S. Add to that, if you wish, a full controls binding abilitiy.

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users