HAWKEN game servers will be unavailable on 4/24/14 at 9:30 a.m. PDT (GMT-7) as we deploy our April Update.
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

R. Q. Gaming Presents... HAWKEN! Come one, come all!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drakezel

Drakezel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hello, fellow Hawken pilots, I am Drakezel!  My friend, Jebnus, and myself, are starting a video series titled 'R. Q. Gaming', primarily on YouTube!

Now, we thought long and hard of what game we could kickstart our endeavors with, and came to a unanimous decision!

What better than Hawken?!  This game is tremendously fun, the community is great, supportive, and tough. (I'm looking at you, TheGrump :<)  We're not sure just how long we'll go with this, and we plan to venture into other games, as well!

So please, enjoy the video!  Provide criticism, tear us down, build us up, whatever!  We're open to suggestion and we're pretty friendly folk!

See you on the battlefield, ladies and gentlemen!

(If the video in the post is kinda wonky, let me know, I'll happily edit it so it's the URL only! :D)

Edited by Drakezel, January 22 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#2 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 23 2013 - 06:10 AM

To start off, you really should shorten the length of your intro. A good intro only needs to be about 8 seconds long.

Criticism:

-Title of the video is a bit misleading. This game is being developed for competitive play, with aspirations to be an e-sport. You may get a lot of negative feedback from players who are genuinely looking for guides and help to improve themselves.

-Jebnus' mic isn't the best quality, especially compared to Drakezel's

-Lack of situational awareness, look at your mini-map more often. There were a lot of situations where the enemy was right beside you, and you didn't notice.

-Dodging. From what I can tell, one of you uses the double-tap option. I highly suggest you go back to using shift, and re-mapping that key if shift isn't comfortable. You also didn't dodge once. It's crucial to outplaying your opponents. Makes you harder to predict.

-Air-burst your TOW missiles. You can right-click to detonate your TOW in mid-air, and it's extremely useful when your TOW isn't a direct hit. The splash still does massive damage, and you can use it to hit people around corners.

-Use your special abillity, and your items. The default mech's ability instantly cools down your weapons, and I noticed a lot of overheating in that video. You should also pay more attention to your heat generation in general. As for items, the default one on that mech is a bubble-shield. You have an unlimited amount, on a cooldown timer between uses. Check your options to find out what key it is bound to.

Pros:

-Video quality was definitely good enough to understand what was happening, but could use a bit of a bump in bit-rate. It looked like 720p quality, even at 1080p.

-Drakezel's voice is pleasing to the ear.

-Always nice to see people enjoying the game and looking to improve themselves.

Good job overall, but I hope you'll take this criticism in mind next time you record some footage of the game.

#3 Jebnus

Jebnus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 06:40 AM

Heya! Jebnus here the editor and crappy player you witnessed in the video just looking at your comments and advice really help, but I'll try to go over a few things first but try not to make to many excuses for myself in the process...

To start off, you really should shorten the length of your intro. A good intro only needs to be about 8 seconds long.

Yea, this is one of those things I kinda questioned myself about while editing the video. I must add first here I'm not expert or even midly good at editing but it'll be cut down to about 8 sec next time! :)

-Title of the video is a bit misleading. This game is being developed for competitive play, with aspirations to be an e-sport. You may get a lot of negative feedback from players who are genuinely looking for guides and help to improve themselves.

Yea this is my fault really. I must say that putting in "How to play" in a title brings in more views but hey! Not like I can't change it!
(silly self-promoting schemes!)

-Jebnus' mic isn't the best quality, especially compared to Drakezel's

Fun fact: We have the same mic. He just has a much better and more, should I say deeper voice? Either way I'm working on getting a new one as I type this.

-Lack of situational awareness, look at your mini-map more often. There were a lot of situations where the enemy was right beside you, and you didn't notice.
-Dodging. From what I can tell, one of you uses the double-tap option. I highly suggest you go back to using shift, and re-mapping that key if shift isn't comfortable. You also didn't dodge once. It's crucial to outplaying your opponents. Makes you harder to predict.

-Air-burst your TOW missiles. You can right-click to detonate your TOW in mid-air, and it's extremely useful when your TOW isn't a direct hit. The splash still does massive damage, and you can use it to hit people around corners.

-Use your special abillity, and your items. The default mech's ability instantly cools down your weapons, and I noticed a lot of overheating in that video. You should also pay more attention to your heat generation in general. As for items, the default one on that mech is a bubble-shield. You have an unlimited amount, on a cooldown timer between uses. Check your options to find out what key it is bound to.

I should also add this was my first game (along with Drakezels) and we were more bullshitting than trying to teach people stuff. This is still advice I'll take in other games in the future though!

-Video quality was definitely good enough to understand what was happening, but could use a bit of a bump in bit-rate. It looked like 720p quality, even at 1080p.

Yea, I must say this was my first time using this new editor and it kinda flip floped some things it shouldn't have in the post production phase but seeing how it was already uploading to Youtube at the time I couldn't (should I say feel like it honestly) stop it then considering it took an odd 4 hours to do this in total.

-Drakezel's voice is pleasing to the ear.

-I think so too. I find mine squeaky or high pitched. Something along those lines.

-Either way thanks a ton for this advice all of it will be used in future editing and in gameplay. We'll soon have an FTL and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare videos out "soon™" and depending on these videos we may do more and show we took the advice to heart.

EDIT: Drakezel and I NEED more C&C like this to help not only your experience with our video but also improving upon our quality, and overall enjoyment to both parties. We love doing this stuff and playing games but we can't keep going without the support of you guys! I'm not asking for fans or subscriptions (It would be nice and REALLY helpful though), I just ask you give a little detail on your experience with our videos to help us out. The videos will get better with time as I get more use to the video editing process and such so in that case just hang in there! Thanks for taking the time to watch our video and read this post.

See you Space Cowboys...

Edited by Jebnus, January 23 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#4 Drakezel

Drakezel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback!  This is the kind of stuff we love!

I always was told I have a face for radio...

#5 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:47 AM

Regarding the quality of the speech audio, I'm assuming that this was recorded on Drakezel's machine and Jebnus is being recorded from some form of VOIP?
That will be what's causing the massive difference in the qualities of the speech, a lot of the tone of Jebnus' voice will have been stripped out by the compression whereas Drakezel will be recorded locally straight from the mic. Depending on what you're using for comms, you may be able to improve the quality of what's being transmitted by digging through the settings.

#6 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:56 AM

Seems like Jebnus was the one recording the footage, so the difference in quality may be software based.

#7 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostUmbre, on January 23 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Seems like Jebnus was the one recording the footage, so the difference in quality may be software based.

I may need to watch again and clarify who was who :P

#8 Drakezel

Drakezel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:34 PM

It's all recorded on Jebnus' machine, and the voice comes through TeamSpeak 3.

I have the deeper, soothing voice, Jebnus has the drawl in his.

We really should do introductions at some point...

#9 Jebnus

Jebnus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostDrakezel, on January 23 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

It's all recorded on Jebnus' machine, and the voice comes through TeamSpeak 3.

I have the deeper, soothing voice, Jebnus has the drawl in his.

We really should do introductions at some point...

That would be a good idea... We almost did it playing Chiv.

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on January 23 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Regarding the quality of the speech audio, I'm assuming that this was recorded on Drakezel's machine and Jebnus is being recorded from some form of VOIP?
That will be what's causing the massive difference in the qualities of the speech, a lot of the tone of Jebnus' voice will have been stripped out by the compression whereas Drakezel will be recorded locally straight from the mic. Depending on what you're using for comms, you may be able to improve the quality of what's being transmitted by digging through the settings.

Yea TeamSpeak3 and FRAPS are the recording devices we use in our videos. My microphone in general is kinda "Meh" but thanks to amazon I'll have a new mic coming in the next few days. We shall do a follow up video to compare and see what else needs to be addressed in the editing  and other process we go through. But for all I know my USB drives could be potentially messed up in some way or my sound card one. We shall see in the coming days. Thanks for your input as well  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users