HAWKEN servers are up and our team balance update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Will there be some sort of penalty given to those who leave team matches?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 L07H

L07H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted January 23 2013 - 07:52 AM

Does anyone know anything about this from dev?

#2 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:00 AM

This is a topic which comes up a lot and there's a lot s speculation about it. I don't think anything has been confirmed by the devs. The only thing which has been introduced is a bonus for how long you're alive for, that's not necessarily directed at this issue though.

Here is one such thread discussing it.

Edited by Fantus_Longhorn, January 23 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#3 Urkaburka

Urkaburka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

There shouldn't be, at least until the game is more stable or there is some way to rejoin a match or autobalance is implemented.  I get dumped out from crashes all the time with no way to rejoin, so frustrating.

#4 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationYour Mamas House

This would be nice....the most annoying issue for me in team play are the rage quitters....ruins the game and makes it almost impossible for a comeback to take place or a shift in momentum if you are on there team.

Probably gonna be a while though when the game is more stable....tooo many drops due to other factors at this point.

Edited by Keyser Soze, January 23 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Posted Image
Rockin Out with my Cockin Out Since Alpha!
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
H.S.T
Wandering Gunz Death Dealer #35 "I got no Strings"

#5 MajorMojo

MajorMojo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationVienna, VA USA

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:04 AM

I don't believe you get any XP or HC if you leave before the end of the match.  I doubt they'll implement anything more harsh than that.

#6 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostKeyser Soze, on January 23 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

This would be nice....the most annoying issue for me in team play are the rage quitters....ruins the game and makes it almost impossible for a comeback to take place or a shift in momentum if you are on there team.

Considering the current status of Hawken, I don't assume that any player disappearing is a rage quit. Currently, dropping a Health Charge seems to be some kind of Russian Roulette for me. I'm more familiar with the Unreal crash reporter than I'd like to be :/

View PostMajorMojo, on January 23 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

I don't believe you get any XP or HC if you leave before the end of the match.  I doubt they'll implement anything more harsh than that.

I think you do if you crash. I've loaded up Hawken after crashing out to find that my mech has leveled up as it would have done if I'd completed the match.

Edited by Fantus_Longhorn, January 23 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#7 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:05 AM

A player doesn't get any XP or HC earned from that match if they leave before the match is over.

As far as I know, that's the only penalty. I haven't heard of leaving affecting a player in any other way. Keep in mind, the client sometimes crashes. I had it crash on me before, and when I got back into a match, I was placed in an entirely different match. In situations like that, I wouldn't like to be penalized for something I didn't even do. :(

It does suck, though, when a player rage quits on a team match.

Posted Image

#8 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:07 AM

wish there would be something like a 5 min cant relog if you rage quit too much in a row, but I know most people would hate that idea
Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#9 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:12 AM

A small penality would be good. But please don't make as some games where you are banned for 1 day, 2 days, one week, a month or even forever.

#10 OsirisVDC

OsirisVDC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:32 AM

It's been in my experience that no amount of punishment removes rage quitters from a game.  Yea it sucks sometimes.  Other times it helps your team because a new player joins and is a much better player than the rage quitter.  The matches in Hawken presently aren't locked when the match starts so players can come an go as they please.

Something else to consider is quite a few times when my team has a rage quitter the match already looks bleak.  All this does is speed up the match to it's almost inevitable end.  To me not really a big deal.  Although I will admit, I'm not one to obsess over my stats.  I'm just hear to have fun.
- Osiris

#11 KyRoS

KyRoS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:36 AM

Seems the easiest way would be to forfeit all experience and HC's gained during the match. You leave, you get nada. As for a penalty, I'm not sure how well that would work in an FPS game. If we have "ranked" play down the road, then certainly. Right now though, I think losing any experience and credits gained during a match for quitting is about all that can be done realistically.

#12 OsirisVDC

OsirisVDC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:49 AM

I guess my thought process is "Who wins?"  The rage quitter was being whooped so bad they left.  That's a crappy place to be.  I think we've all been there.  The people left in the match have to face down there opponents a man down.  Been there too.  It sucks.  The people rage quitting aren't doing it to spite any one in my mind.  They simply can't stand being pub stomped any more.  Just let them go.  The team left has a chance to get a replacement player hopefully without a chip on their shoulder so a least there is a "fix" for the team left a man down and the rage quitter gets to find another server where perhaps they aren't so outclassed or perhaps put the game down before they have a meltdown.
- Osiris

#13 L07H

L07H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on January 23 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

This is a topic which comes up a lot and there's a lot s speculation about it. I don't think anything has been confirmed by the devs. The only thing which has been introduced is a bonus for how long you're alive for, that's not necessarily directed at this issue though.

Here is one such thread discussing it.

Sorry about that. I responded on that thread just now.

#14 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostOsirisVDC, on January 23 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I guess my thought process is "Who wins?"  The rage quitter was being whooped so bad they left.  That's a crappy place to be.  I think we've all been there.  The people left in the match have to face down there opponents a man down.  Been there too.  It sucks.  The people rage quitting aren't doing it to spite any one in my mind.  They simply can't stand being pub stomped any more.  Just let them go.  The team left has a chance to get a replacement player hopefully without a chip on their shoulder so a least there is a "fix" for the team left a man down and the rage quitter gets to find another server where perhaps they aren't so outclassed or perhaps put the game down before they have a meltdown.

I used to hate on rage quitters up until recently.  More and more I'm starting to see it from the perspective of those getting stomped, and I'm also developing a hatred for the cowardice of those who won't switch to the opposing team because it is down a couple of players and already getting stomped.  I always try to switch when I notice that the team is down by a couple of players, and sometimes I'll also switch when they are only down 1 player but are starting to lose badly.  But I almost NEVER see anyone else doing this.  Yeah, the matchmaking/balance system is sort of borked right now, but the players also have a responsibility to try to make the game more enjoyable until the devs can do something about it.  The longevity/health of this game is more crucial than personal stats, even moreso since it's still in Beta mode.

#15 BinZwieda

BinZwieda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:44 AM

i´d love to see, that players over lvl 15 loose 1 lvl for - lets say - every 3 times he leaves in one day.
(1 day = 2 leaves without penalty)

so 1 or 2 disconnects due to technical problems ain´t no problem.
who leaves more often than that... well... bad luck.
:P

#16 ANALYST

ANALYST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIdaho, U.S.

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostMajorMojo, on January 23 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

This isn't much of a penalty, since most people leave a match because they're getting steamrolled and therefore, not getting any xp or hc anyway...

There's no incentive to stay in a one sided match at all.

#17 Cypherhalo

Cypherhalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:07 AM

There should be but I'm not aware of a dev statement on the matter.
You don't win a war by dying for your country.  
You win a war by making the other guy die for his.  -
sanitizing the great George S. Patton
Posted Image

#18 PlanckZero

PlanckZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:14 AM

While we're at it how about a penalty for the god awful team mates that push people to quit early?

Do you think people enjoy joining a match and noticing each of their teammates is up to double digit deaths without any kills or assists?

#19 L07H

L07H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostPlanckZero, on January 23 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

While we're at it how about a penalty for the god awful team mates that push people to quit early?

Do you think people enjoy joining a match and noticing each of their teammates is up to double digit deaths without any kills or assists?

If you voluntarily leave a match because you have a player on your team whose performance you disapprove of, then that is ragequitting.

Edited by L07H, January 23 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#20 PlanckZero

PlanckZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostL07H, on January 23 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostPlanckZero, on January 23 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

If you voluntarily leave a match because you have a player on your team whose performance you disapprove of, then that is ragequitting.

That's called having standards.  Some people value their time and would rather find something better to do than watch the opposing team play target practice.

"Rage quitting" in this case is the excuse people that play poorly make to rationalize why no one wants to watch them repeatedly respawn and run into the same funnel of death for 10-15 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users