HAWKEN game servers will be unavailable on 4/24/14 at 9:30 a.m. PDT (GMT-7) as we deploy our April Update.
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Big Juicy Updates or Incremental Delights?

Beta

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Patch Cycles (37 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you hope to see the developers release patches?

1. I like 'em big, rare, and juicy. (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. Make 'em small, tasty, and consistent. (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Poetess

Poetess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have seen threads like this before made by the devs of other online games which attempt to gauge the community's wishes regarding patch cycles.  Since the beta has just started, it is hard to say what will become the norm of Meteor and Adhesive's patch habits.  What are you personally hoping will become the standard from here on in?  Do you like updates that are generously packed with content but take more time to release or are you a fan of bite size ones that are put out on a regular basis?

Personally, I like small and consistent updates.  I have read and heard what are on the dev's priority list but it's hard to grasp it without seeing it.  By providing something tiny and tangible, it gives me an idea what stage the devs are actually at and how exactly they are addressing the kinks of the game.  To be fair, this probably isn't feasible with larger issues like Matchmaker since they need larger chunks of data before trying to improve the balance of matches.  However, I still wouldn't mind seeing regular changes to the stunlock effect (since it doesn't seem likely to be removed), weapon spread patterns, and the friends list just to name a few.

So fellow Hawkenites, what's your patch cycle preference?
Posted Image
^Vote for my T-shirt design shown above here: Submission Link

#2 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:01 AM

The developer commentary from yesterday stated that they aim to move toward two patches per month. One with fixes, one with content.
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#3 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:03 AM

See: http://community.pla...te/#entry183603

This week's patch marks the start of our content release schedule, which encompasses mechs, maps, and everything in between. We aim to have two patches every month, one introducing a new mech and the other addressing balance and follow-up tweaks.
Maps, taking longer to develop and polish, will be introduced on a three to four month schedule. As you might imagine, new game modes will take the longest amount of development time.

EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#4 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:04 AM

Prefer my content patches rare and large, but tweaking small and consistent. If that makes sense
Posted Image
*sigh*

#5 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on January 23 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Prefer my content patches rare and large, but tweaking small and consistent. If that makes sense

Indeed. I can stand not having new shiny things to play around with for a while if there isn't huge glaring issues with the current game.

Posted Image

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

------------------------------------------------------

<+ReachH> >.> people won't eat anything

that hasn't been pulverized into a nugget and fried

#6 Neverm0re

Neverm0re

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:26 AM

I prefer plenty of time in between content updates, because that gives you time to get used to what was most recently introduced before something new comes out. You will have time to get used to new maps, know how to play as and fight against new mech, and use new items properly. If you've got things coming out rapid fire then it is chaos for people who can't play constantly.
Posted Image  
Mains a Rocketeer, cause why not. My Guide to Hawken Lore.

#7 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:33 AM

When I saw the voting choices, my mind immediately brought up "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-lot. LOL!

Anyways, small consistent patches are fine by me. While a big patch is nice, they can often take longer to get released. I'm perfectly content with smaller bits of goodness keeping me satisfied on a consistent basis.

No offense to the large patch coming our way real soon, mind you! :D

Posted Image

#8 PlanckZero

PlanckZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:51 AM

If this patch sets any precedents then you're not just looking at one new mech a month but just one new weapon and one new item.  You can rationalize the single mech but the lack of additional weapons and other items is a fair disappointment.

People who aren't "hardcore" players are going to quickly tire of the limited new releases, become bored and likely tune out until the next content patch a month away.

Frequent content additions could also combat bandwagoning of new content.  With infrequent releases by the time something new comes around people are likely to have money stocked up and ready to purchase it and nothing else still on their plate to delay them.  With frequent releases there may be a new weapon/item/mech released this week but you're still busy saving up for last weeks release to jump right into grabbing it.  This is what is going to happen this update when everyone and their grandmother with tens of thousands of credits saved up grabs the reaper or tosses a detonator on their favorite mech.

#9 BlackSunday

BlackSunday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostPlanckZero, on January 23 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

If this patch sets any precedents then you're not just looking at one new mech a month but just one new weapon and one new item.  You can rationalize the single mech but the lack of additional weapons and other items is a fair disappointment.

People who aren't "hardcore" players are going to quickly tire of the limited new releases, become bored and likely tune out until the next content patch a month away.

Frequent content additions could also combat bandwagoning of new content.  With infrequent releases by the time something new comes around people are likely to have money stocked up and ready to purchase it and nothing else still on their plate to delay them.  With frequent releases there may be a new weapon/item/mech released this week but you're still busy saving up for last weeks release to jump right into grabbing it.  This is what is going to happen this update when everyone and their grandmother with tens of thousands of credits saved up grabs the reaper or tosses a detonator on their favorite mech.

That does not make sense at al to me. First of al, you can with little effort grind the money for a new mech in a week, hell, I have bought 3 while grinding for the reaper, just because I could.

Secondly, if the devs would release a new gun and/or mech each week... Well, they would need to be on something to keep up with that, and drugs are illegal, and also, it would most certain just be garbage.

It is better to take your time doing something properly, then just chuck out alot of "fuzzy bunny"

Edited by Slimbastard, January 24 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#10 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 01:54 AM

I don't mind small tweaks here and there, especially if they are fixing known issues (stun lock for instance) but in terms of getting content I like in large amounts and rare. This way it lets players truly master the new content and allows the developers the most time to move forward adding new content which will help balance the game and accent what is already available.

Changes to existing content should be left at fixing problems leaving weapon tweaks and such until the next big content update so the developers can gather as much data as possible.

Posted Image

#11 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted January 24 2013 - 04:19 AM

I like having fortnightly patches, it kinda shows how the game is progressing
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#12 R33F3R

R33F3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted January 24 2013 - 06:57 AM

I too like trivial updates. I like testing really. I like reading patch notes. I like change. I leave communities when the game gets stale. Issuing patches that only release balance tweaks, appearance changes, and new characters will make me leave. Its sad, but to keep a large free to play community you need game changes; new maps, updated maps, updated ui, new game modes, tweaked game modes (even if they arent broken)..

I hate WoW but its the only game to get this right, they know how to keep something repetitive and, in wows case, downright boring upbeat and interesting. WoW is the only game I have passed out on my keyboard playing, waking up to 100s of pages of jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj...

Edited by R33F3R, January 24 2013 - 06:59 AM.

Posted Image

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Precog Hawken Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,984 posts
  • LocationOort Cloud.

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:01 AM

IMHO, a combination of both. So you may add one new option to the poll, if you wish.. :)

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Posted Image

#14 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:34 AM

This culture of instant gratification is ruining our civilization. :'(

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#15 Kotetsu

Kotetsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'd like a little bit of both. As long as there's a steady stream of content coming in, surprise me.

#16 Disentropy

Disentropy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 10:15 PM

I can't really vote because what I want isn't listed.

I prefer big, "juicy" updates for content and "goodies," but I want small, consistent fixes for stuff that's broken.  Ultimately, I think I'd rather leave it to the devs to fix and improve things the best way they can think of--which will sometimes mean small patches, and sometimes big additions.

The idea, above, regarding two patches per month--one for fixes and one for content--sounds pretty darned good to me.  :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users