HAWKEN servers are up and our team balance update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map Screen has so much potential!

Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chann

Chann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 04:07 PM

So I rarely if ever press V to pop up the map screen, but I realized that it really has a lot of potential for strategic planning. As of right now, the only thing you can do is set a Focus point, but as a strategy gamer, I suggest adding some extra features. For example, a Defend point, an Offense point, or individual player Focus points? Or assigning players to partner up in pairs or rally up on one? And why not have the score show up during the map screen as well? Or at least, show the kill count of mechs right by their player names during the map screen so people can get an idea of who is their star player. Anyways, adding features, but not so much that the map screen is complicated and intimidating, of course.

On a side note, I love the game. There are a few places where it's really hard to tell what does what (switching weapons in garage when it doesn't show the differences in damage/ROF/etc)(In deployment screen, it is not explained what, say, a battery does (cancel out EMP) - yet it asks if you want to activate it).

#2 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted January 23 2013 - 04:12 PM

I honestly don't even think that the map should be in the game,it's distracting the way it is,and would be in a game such as this no matter how it would be redesigned.
Posted Image
   I dreamed a thousand new paths...I woke and walked my old one.

#3 WearisomeOrphan

WearisomeOrphan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've accidentally stumbled upon the map a few times and thought it was very pretty but just didn't have the time to examine it.

I'll have to play around with it a bit, but it would be nice if it had some extra features to communicate visually with the team. Reminds me of Natural Selection where one of the players on the human team (space marines or whatever) take over the commanders role where the game basically turned into RTS for them.

If the team leader could give Nav points or something, it might really help the cohesiveness of the team modes.

#4 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:49 PM

I said it once and I'll say it again. I would love to be able to "spot" enemies directly on my map. The turrets signal the owner when they are shooting/hitting an enemy. So if people remember the general area where they put their turrets, they can call it out to their teammates. (Heck, why not give the turrets the ability to automatically "spot" enemies.... but that's a topic for a another forum ..... well, topic.)

Would also help for i.e. if you die, you could mark the last place you died and hope a team member is near by (or for that matter the person that killed you) so they can to clean up.

Edited by ShadowWarg, January 23 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Precog Hawken Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationOort Cloud.

Posted January 24 2013 - 08:19 AM

The Map window definitely has great potential, indeed.

Hope to see many interesting and new improvements into it as we all move forward. Additionally, you may use the adv. search function to read previous posts made on the subject as well. ;)

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Posted Image

#6 x1aa

x1aa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 08:51 AM

But then using voip outperforms it no matter what.
"Your attack has been rendered harmless. It is, however, quite pretty."
—Saprazzan vizier

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Precog Hawken Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationOort Cloud.

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:14 AM

Although still better a picture than a dozen words to "see the whole picture" upon a time! ;)

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Posted Image

#8 Coldbound

Coldbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationWinland

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:17 AM

Would be a great idea if you could draw plans and directions on the map. Perhaps there could be a voted team captain or something.
Posted Image

#9 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted January 24 2013 - 09:18 AM

i played wolfenstein: enemy territory since 10 years. check what they have:
maybe this can be useful in hawken. for example option in menu to show map instead mech when u die or choose mech.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostColdbound, on January 24 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Would be a great idea if you could draw plans and directions on the map. Perhaps there could be a voted team captain or something.

Doesn't Armored Core V have something like that?

Also I can't remember, does the map show the callsigns of your teammates?

#11 M3KKA

M3KKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted January 25 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostShadowWarg, on January 24 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostColdbound, on January 24 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Doesn't Armored Core V have something like that?

Also I can't remember, does the map show the callsigns of your teammates?

I think it does (i remember being able to set waypoints for my squad) been a while since i played though. Regardless a similar feature here would be welcome.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users