HAWKEN servers are up and our team balance update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

January Update: Patch Notes

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 921 posts
  • LocationCruise Ship, Stern

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:01 PM

Greetings pilots!

Next week we will be deploying a minor update to the game. Included are improvements to our matchmaking system, balance adjustments for the Technician and changes to Siege Mode.

Special Notices
  • Matchmaking
      We are rolling out some changes to our matchmaking system with the goal of finding more suitable matches for our players. This update will allow us to take many more variables into account during the search for the highest quality match and it's a system that can be adjusted easier than before. Rather than use one set value as an assessment for a player, each player will be dynamically rated against a server based on multiple conditions. As a result, it becomes a sliding scale of match quality (such as POOR, GOOD or GREAT) instead of a simple YES or NO. This release next week also puts the greatest amount of weight on player skill when gauging the quality of a match for a player.

If players use Quick Match this process will happen in the background, invisible to players just as it is now. For those who use the Server Browser, they will see a small change to accommodate this new system. Players will now see a column labeled "Quality" and a rating of 1-3 stars will be assigned to each server. The more stars you see next to a server, the better the quality for you as a player. We block players from joining a server that has no stars and warn players attempting to join a 1 star server that it is a poor qualitative choice for them.

Variables currently taken into account by the updated system (not listed in any particular order):
      • Player Skill
      • Pilot Level
      • Party Size (if applicable)
      • How new a player is to HAWKEN (if applicable)
      New players to HAWKEN will have better experience than previously by seeing the difficulty of their opponents slowly ramp up as they start winning or their rating drop more quickly if they’re struggling. New players will not have immediate access to the Server Browser.
Mechs
  • Technician
    • Repair Torch
      • Increased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 35 to 40
      • Increased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 55 to 70
      • Decreased reconstruction beam lock-on degrees from 75 to 60
    • Amplification Ability
      • Decreased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 130 to 80
      • Decreased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 150 to 140
    Developer's Note: We wanted to increase the Technician's regular effectiveness but reduced beam stickiness to force the user to track their target a bit more. We also wanted to pull Amplification back a bit so that there is a better chance to out damage the repair rate in combat.
Game Modes
  • Siege
    • Battleship
      • The battleship will now start attacking the enemy base once it has traveled 25% of its route. This means the battleship will begin attacking the enemy base 40 seconds after launch
      • Once both battleships are launched, they will begin to attack each other immediately
      • Decreased armor of first battleship from 12000 to 8000
      • Increased armor of subsequent battleships from 3000 to 4000 per battleship
      • Decreased base damage to battleship from 70 to 40 damage per second
      • Decreased battleship damage to base from 23 to 6 damage per second
      • Decreased battleship damage to enemy battleship from 55 to 36 damage per second
      • Battleship turrets no longer attack players. The battleship will only attack the enemy battleship and base.
      • Destroying enemy battleship turrets will now reduce the damage taken by your battleship and base
      • Each battleship turret deals 1 damage per second to enemy bases
      • Each battleship turret deals 6 damage per second to enemy battleships
      • Each subsequent battleship will require an increasingly larger amount of energy units (EU) to launch. It will cost an extra 100 EU to launch each subsequent battleship
      • Decreased cost to launch first battleship from 800 to 500 EU
    • Anti-Air
      • Increased the time meter to launch an anti-air missile from 17.5 to 20. This means that if only one person is holding the Anti-Air, it will take 20 seconds to launch an anti-air missile. Having two people present will increase the launch rate by 50%, and three people will increase the launch rate by 75%
      • Increased anti-air missile damage from 2000 to 3200
    • Energy
      • Increased the max EU stored by an energy tree from 100 to 250 EU
      • Decreased regeneration rate of EU trees from 20 to 4.5 EU per second
      • EU trees will now display the current amount of EU it contains in the HUD
      • Mechs spawning no longer subtracts EU from team EU pool. A destroyed mech will only drop the current amount of EU they are holding
    Developer's Note: We have reworked some of how Siege Mode functions with the goal of more accurately reflecting how close a match was and to also reduce some of the frustrations that players can experience with the mode. It was very easy to get the wrong impression about how close a match was when viewing a final result (such as 3000 to 0) and a landslide victory could be suggested even though the match might have been much closer in reality.

As a result of these changes you'll find that each ship launch now feels more like the team is progressing in some way. Changes to the EU collection phase will impact pacing and players will feel less frustration now that Battleships no longer attack them directly.

Click here to view the article

Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song.

@ZamboniChaos

#2 Seron16

Seron16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:25 PM

Interesting indeed! I'll hold off on saying anything in relation to clans until the big patch comes, but I like these changes, and maybe siege will be a better mode than it has ever been before with these changes! :)

Nice job HWK, and I hope this patch is also here to whet my appetite for the next big thing, which I will be dutily waiting for. :)
Posted Image
Spoiler

#3 Xtratega

Xtratega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:26 PM

"
  • Battleship turrets no longer attack players. The battleship will only attack the enemy battleship and base."
brb, crying

That's a feely feel that you need to feel to understand how it feels, bro.

Twitter

#4 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:30 PM

Wow that was fast. I was expecting these like 1 week and a half from now.

Edited by ShadowWarg, January 10 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostShadowWarg, on January 10 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Wow that was fast. I was expecting these like 1 week and a half from now.

Agreed!  I was actually expecting them in February.

#6 BLTasty

BLTasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSmall Town next to a REALLY big city

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:34 PM

I think this is a really nice step for seige mode - the idea that the battleships start damaging sooner makes it sometimes viable to launch your cruiser to stop damage to your base - giving your team a chance ot retake the turret if you've lost it and if your ship wins the fight - it will start firing on the enemy base sooner making the game feel more heated - I LIKE IT!

#7 ecaflip

ecaflip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFlying with glorious air dynamics

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:35 PM

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on January 10 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

• Battleship turrets no longer attack players. The battleship will only attack the enemy battleship and base.

I LOVE YOU
Posted Image
I'm I'm playing, I'm more than likely streaming. Come watch me at twitch.tv/bugzdood (i wish I had a better twitch name)

#8 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:39 PM

Battleship turrets no longer attack players. The battleship will only attack the enemy battleship and base.            

Posted Image

Posted Image

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

------------------------------------------------------

<+ReachH> >.> people won't eat anything

that hasn't been pulverized into a nugget and fried

#9 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:42 PM

Just hope that the new matchmaking works better than the old one without silly side effects.
Regarding siege - I can't remember when I tried it the last time not b/c of the frustration you get there mostly just the playerbase in uk/eu isn't there to fill up servers.
Also is the "don't forget to collect the energy"-reminder voice still there in that moments when everybody should go to the aa? I think that irritates a lot of inexperienced players in this game mode.

#10 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:45 PM

Those EU changes... scarcity at last!

Ships attacking BEFORE they get to point-blank range?  The endless sieges are over!

The technician changes sound right on the mark.  No more green beam of invincibility.

I'm happy to see you guys in the early phase of the matchmaking overhaul.  I notice that latency still isn't accounted for though, I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for that.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this one.

#11 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:48 PM

What happened to 6v6 matchmaking?

#12 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on January 10 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

It changed to 3vs3, with some randoms thrown in to fill up the roster. :lol:

#13 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:58 PM

I would assume it won't be in the january patch.

Posted Image

#14 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 921 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:01 PM

Currently planned for next month's release.

@ZamboniChaos

#15 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSeriously he looks cool in every picture

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hot damn, this is a good bunch of things.  Looking forward to the next two months.
Posted Image
Upset about change?  Read this! | #cornflakepissers

#16 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:08 PM

EDIT: Got ninjad by ZC.

IDK I am going to cry in a corner, I really believed it was coming this month =(

Edited by Exeon, January 10 2014 - 07:08 PM.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

HAWKEN 3v3 Tournament May 17th @ 1 p.m. PST

#17 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:08 PM

If you cover the ticket I will personally come out there and hump each and every one of your legs. In all seriousness though these look amazing! Great work guys!

Edited by Skrill, January 10 2014 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image
My First iPad Game
Threadbare Games: The game company I work for. If you would like to suggest a game you want to see made I'm all ears
Threadbare Facebook; Like us for updates on our latest game

#18 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 921 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostSkrill, on January 10 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

If you cover the ticket I will personally come out there and hump each and every one of your legs. In all seriousness though these look amazing! Great work guys!

Ummm...thanks?

:D

@ZamboniChaos

#19 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:20 PM

When is the patched currently planned to drop?

#20 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:32 PM

Mechs
  • Technician
    • Repair Torch
      • Increased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 35 to 40

• Increased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 55 to 70

• Decreased reconstruction beam lock-on degrees from 75 to 60
    • Amplification Ability
      • Decreased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 130 to 80

• Decreased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 150 to 140
    Developer's Note: We wanted to increase the Technician's regular effectiveness but reduced beam stickiness to force the user to track their target a bit more. We also wanted to pull Amplification back a bit so that there is a better chance to out damage the repair rate in combat.

OMG STICKY NERF WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE. Most particularly relieving to finally see stickiness and green beam be nerfed, after how long?

Either way, I think this will balance out the Tech much better than ever before, and overall, this minor patch looks like a pretty major one to me, so I can't wait for February because it will be even more major than this! Good work, can't wait for moree! :)

Edited by Silverfire, January 10 2014 - 07:32 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War at this thread! Support my film group by liking our Facebook page and subscribing to our Youtube channel!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 gHz |  Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users