HAWKEN servers are up and our team balance update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN on Steam: Early Access

News Update

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 919 posts
  • LocationCruise Ship, Stern

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:02 PM

Greetings pilots!

We'd like to thank all of our players for their feedback and patience this week as we made the transition to Steam. The final batch of emails is being sent out today, so all of our previous players should have access to HAWKEN soon. Here's a look at what we have planned for this week.

Steam Early Access

We're pleased to announce that we will be making HAWKEN available to the public through Steam Early Access on Thursday, February 13. We will also be reactivating new account creation and implementing the full, content complete version of our Steam Update.

During the first phase of Early Access, new pilots will be required to purchase a bundle in order to play. We felt this was necessary to help control our server load and offer the very best experience possible to all players. Once a bundle is purchased you'll be provided a code to assist with creating your pilot account on our website. Please note that a pilot account is required to play HAWKEN.

Steam Preview Page Now Live

Pilots can now visit the HAWKEN preview page on the Steam Store. Since our Steam Store page is now live, we are finalizing the reactivation of Meteor Credit purchasing and implementing Steam Wallet support.

The "Nemesis" Bundle

Early Access will begin with only one bundle available for purchase. The Nemesis bundle is a special, limited time bundle that contains a large amount of content at a deeply discounted price. It contains 9 mechs, a global repair drone, all 3 Nemesis themed chassis art pieces, 6410 HAWKEN Credits, 720 Meteor Credits and an exclusive pilot emblem, all for only $29.99 USD.  More information on this bundle and its content will be available soon!

We're excited to now bring HAWKEN to even more players and look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

Click here to view the article

Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song.

@ZamboniChaos

#2 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:05 PM

So much for the f2p label :wacko:

#3 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:09 PM

T_T  Now I can't show this game to my friends...  :c  I was really excited to tell them to make an account but I guess they'll have to wait a bit longer until then...  I do hope these bundle things won't wreak the game as it did for other games that did similar things.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#4 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:11 PM

Watches trailer!
Immediately rewatches trailer.

edit: GIVE ME SPECTATOR MODE NAOW MUST MAKE FAN VIDEOS.

Edited by Hocisern, February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM.

"I leased a mech from Khang and it blew up on the first day. He still let me return it for a new one!" - Laila the Technician

#5 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Posthendman, on February 11 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

So much for the f2p label :wacko:
You don't have to buy anything

Posted Image

because bow ties are cool

#6 Putroid

Putroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM

Let me get this straight.

So hawken was free to play before the forced move to steam. Now that that move has been done you are requiring a purchase for new accounts until an unannounced date?

That seems a bit gauche and greedy.

#7 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hijinks_The_Turtle, on February 11 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

T_T  Now I can't show this game to my friends...  :c  I was really excited to tell them to make an account but I guess they'll have to wait a bit longer until then...  I do hope these bundle things won't wreak the game as it did for other games that did similar things.

New pilots have to do that. The game has been in open beta for awhile now and if you have been playing it they should've been too. Sorry man, but the way I see it is all my friends that wouldnt listen to me download it now have to pay.

#8 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hmm, this kind of reminds me of the VI bundle at the end of CB.  You didn't have to buy into it, but it did give you earlier access before the start of OB.  I don't see a real problem with it.

Now, the global drone, is this something new for this bundle?  And if so, is it something that will be available for all players to buy?  And will it be global as it is for the bundle purchasers?

For that matter, will there be multiple bundles?  I'd consider a bundle that has everything listed, except for the mechs.  I already have dupes of all the currently available ones. :)

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 8 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege?  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#9 raum

raum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostPutroid, on February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

So hawken was free to play before the forced move to steam. Now that that move has been done you are requiring a purchase for new accounts until an unannounced date?

I believe and seriously hope that "During the first phase of Early Access, new pilots will be required to purchase a bundle in order to play. We felt this was necessary to help control our server load..." means this will be what's happening during only transition to steam release.

#10 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:18 PM

Putroid, on February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

You have a free account and don't have to buy anything.

#11 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostPutroid, on February 11 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

I had to reread it to get it but here:

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on February 11 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

During the first phase of Early Access, new pilots will be required to purchase a bundle in order to play. We felt this was necessary to help control our server load and offer the very best experience possible to all players. Once a bundle is purchased you'll be provided a code to assist with creating your pilot account on our website. Please note that a pilot account is required to play HAWKEN.

We're excited to now bring HAWKEN to even more players and look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

Click here to view the article

It will be F2P but as of right now they aren't sure of how to make sure the servers can handle a large growth of players in that short time span.  BUT I do agree this kind of thing was a little rough to put on new potential players.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 11 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#12 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:19 PM

This pay for a bundle is acctually restarted. That is the wrong move. A lottery for activation codes is better idea and much less off puting

Posted Image

because bow ties are cool

#13 parabellum_machina

parabellum_machina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:20 PM

There is a typo on the Steam preview page (in the description of Siege mode: :

"Fight for control over the Anti Aircraft BATTER" (missing an Y, I suppose  :P )

Edited by parabellum_machina, February 11 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#14 RooksBailey

RooksBailey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:21 PM

Pardon me, but WTF?  I mean, this doesn't even effect me as I am part of the old bunch, but if I was new to the game, this would absolutely kill my enthusiasm for the game!  When I first read that you were going to be required to buy a package, I was ticked off, but then I figured 'eh, it will probably be $10 or so, so no big deal".  But $29.99!!!!!  Again:For a F2P game?!?  WTF!   :angry:  This is an absolutely horrible decision!  It is effectively going to kill any momentum Hawken would have achieved right out of the gate!

I am just at a loss.  I understand that this is just for a limited time, but I think something like this can leave a bad taste in a lot of gamers' mouths long afterwards.  Right or wrong, the P2W crowd is going to make hay out of this one.... :rolleyes:

#15 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostOdinTheWise, on February 11 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

This pay for a bundle is acctually restarted. That is the wrong move. A lottery for activation codes is better idea and much less off puting

I agree!  I was thinking this would be a much better idea!  I don't like this bundle thing because the steep price scares off potential players, especially if this is an Early Access Beta for the Newbie Steam players who probably haven't even heard of Hawken due to it not getting any ads ever since it got into Open Beta.

#16 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:28 PM

Read everything you are getting though. 9Mechs is a lot since you have to buy each mech now. PLus you get MC and HC points. I looked at it at first and kind of wanted it. Limited time is probably a week to stress test. If they didn't do this and the servers crashed everyone would be bashing on them for that.

Adhesive.. You're doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. Sorry for the internet over reacting.

#17 CookieTheory

CookieTheory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:28 PM

Is there any exclusive stuff in the Nemesis bundle (sorta like the Vanguard Initiative) or will it all be available to everyone us once its released?

#18 avbot

avbot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just watched the Launch Trailer on Steam. Awesome!!!!

#19 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostFarlanghn, on February 11 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Read everything you are getting though. 9Mechs is a lot since you have to buy each mech now. Plus you get MC and HC points. I looked at it at first and kind of wanted it. Limited time is probably a week to stress test. If they didn't do this and the servers crashed everyone would be bashing on them for that.

Adhesive.. You're doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. Sorry for the internet over reacting.

It's true, 9 Mechs is a lot + the MCs and HCs.  But I'd say a lottery for keys is a much better idea than..... this. :c  I'd bet the test will be probably be a week or so.  Crashing servers is something that no one wants, but this price tag will deter potential new players from this game during that time.  

Sure, I bet there will be a few who will buy it to join in, but what about those who turned away from the game because of the price tag?  Even after, it could slightly sour ADH's reputation and that won't be good.  I really love this game, but I believe that this is a wrong move to go for.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 11 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#20 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 11 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostRooksBailey, on February 11 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Pardon me, but WTF?  I mean, this doesn't even effect me as I am part of the old bunch, but if I was new to the game, this would absolutely kill my enthusiasm for the game!  When I first read that you were going to be required to buy a package, I was ticked off, but then I figured 'eh, it will probably be $10 or so, so no big deal".  But $29.99!!!!!  Again:For a F2P game?!?  WTF!   :angry:  This is an absolutely horrible decision!  It is effectively going to kill any momentum Hawken would have achieved right out of the gate!
Key part of the announcement:

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on February 11 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

During the first phase of Early Access, new pilots will be required to purchase a bundle in order to play.
This reads, to me anyway, that this requirement is only for the initial stage(s).  It's kind of like version 2 of the vanguard initiative.  You can buy it now, get in early, and get some swag out of the deal, or wait a bit longer and get into it for free.

View PostRooksBailey, on February 11 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

I am just at a loss.  I understand that this is just for a limited time, but I think something like this can leave a bad taste in a lot of gamers' mouths long afterwards.  Right or wrong, the P2W crowd is going to make hay out of this one.... :rolleyes:
I don't see how the P2W crowd would have anything to complain about.  The only exclusive things listed in the bundle (so far anyway) is the cosmetic items (pilot emblem and perhaps the drone), everything else that affects game play can be bought with in-game currency just by playing and saving up.

Edited by bacon_avenger, February 11 2014 - 05:32 PM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 8 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege?  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users