HAWKEN servers are up and our April Update is live!
Forgot Password? SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

4-legged mechs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HavoQ

HavoQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSaudi Arabia

Posted September 30 2012 - 04:54 AM

I would really like to see 4 legged mechs. It's an unorthodox design and it can be made into a scout role with lots of speed but little tankability. Make it happen guys!
Posted Image

#2 Microwave

Microwave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 30 2012 - 08:04 AM

very good idea

#3 KillamriX88

KillamriX88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 30 2012 - 04:00 PM

I feel four legged mechs, while an excellent idea, wouldn't be fast. Perhaps they could "ski" using more powerful jets than the other mech classes, but the walking speed would be slower than the other mechs. I just can't imagine a four legged mech running. In nature 4 legs is fast, in a mech everything is too rigid. Animals run fast because of a flexible spine, mechs don't have that.

A four legged mech would walk very slow, but having four legs would make it extra sturdy and able to handle much more weight. It would serve better as a super-heavy weapons platform or mobile artillery. What I imagine would be having two weapons, but only able to use one at a time. One light weapon for use while "skiing" and one ultra-heavy weapon that it can use only when it "locks down" for added defense and stability.

Imagine a massive chaingun or something like that, so when it locked down it became one big, deadly, area denial weapon. Or mortars. :D

Somehow I doubt any of this would be put into the game, but it would be cool if it was.

#4 Demongoat

Demongoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted October 01 2012 - 08:18 AM

+1 to this, could also work for those guys who want the classic Mechwarrior-feel to the bots

#5 Joushicho

Joushicho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 10:25 AM

There should be an option to choose a 2 legged or 4 legged version when choosing the mech class. Or just make two different 4 legged mech classes, one slow tank and another fast scout type.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left
- Bertrand Russell

#6 Tsukuyomi

Tsukuyomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well, there could be different kinds of 4-legged mechs. Don't limit yourself to a having a four-legged mech be just a "scout" ala TF2 (though I see the above poster is not inclined to that thinking absolutely).

There's a lot of different ways 4-legged mechs could change things up. There could be a panther/cheetah kind of 4-legged mech, which would certainly have speed and agility over pure damage output and health, or a tankier four-legged mech.

Of course, that's as if we need to limit ourselves to "animal-like" 4-legged mechs, which doesn't have to happen, as the bipedal mechs aren't necessarily "human-based" just because they are bipedal, for example.

#7 Wreav

Wreav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustria, Steiermark

Posted October 05 2012 - 01:09 PM

I googled a bit, and I found this picture:

Posted Image

Damn, that thing would be awesome in a Juggernaut-Mode.

Posted Image

#8 Drunut

Drunut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 01:15 PM

If 4-legged speed mechs were to be implemented, I would expect them to have very thin/frail legs. They would need to move fast and in cadence, so armor on them wouldn't be very likely. Think a big, solid body and thin but powerful legs.

(Still having fun imagining radically different control schemes between two and four legged mechs. Two legged mechs have their body move independently of their legs while four legged mechs in mobile mode run where they're looking, only able to look around freely when they've stopped.)

#9 SnuSnu

SnuSnu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 03:33 AM

I still think an eight legged spider Juggurnaut mode would be amazing. Most people will say it will never happen. They told the same thing to John Peters. Then Wild Wild West happend. :D

#10 RIZOUNIS

RIZOUNIS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 04:05 AM

Anyone knows Lost Planet? They have some awesome vital suits designs (mechs). A few that can transform aswell.
Lost Planet can be a very good inspiration source for this type of things.

Here is a link about what I mean:

#11 ThePlague

ThePlague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:00 AM

I would love 4-legged mechs to bee in a game !
Or beeing able to create your own mech disign with 2, 4, 8 legs, each giving access to some cpecial abilities!

#12 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:02 AM

Want bad
Posted Image
*sigh*

#13 ThePlague

ThePlague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:15 AM

Like 8-legged wouldn`t produce noise,climb walls, have weapons more damaging than usual and so they wouldn`t be marked red in visual , but still on the radar.Of course the down side will be slower movement MUCH lesser health, they cant use heavy wepons,no jetpack...

Edited by ThePlague, October 06 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#14 Darkus_The_Deathly

Darkus_The_Deathly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 06:15 AM

i agree, 4 legged mechs would be very interesting to use in this game type. like most said itd be more suited for a heavy gunner/defensive role
one big ass gun and a smaller one for fast targets

#15 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 03:04 PM

4 legged mechs would be cool for weapon platforms indeed. Maybe they can have more firepower but less strafing speed and distance but a quicker forward sprint that uses stamina when you try to run past the normal speed :3
Boosters would not be applicable since they would be heavier than the regular mechs so they wouldnt be as vertical. Just a thought :3

#16 Wreav

Wreav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustria, Steiermark

Posted October 07 2012 - 03:33 AM

What about a 4-legged mech where more people can sit in?
For example, two extra manned guns?

Posted Image

#17 VWolfPlayer

VWolfPlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Posted October 10 2012 - 04:11 AM

I googled a bit, and I found this picture:

Wonderful art. Me too I found another example:

Posted Image

#18 AWOL_01

AWOL_01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 21 2012 - 08:28 AM

Awesome idea. 2, 4, and 6 legged mechs, with light and heavy types for each, with the light gaining speed and losing armor, and with the heavy gaining armor and losing speed as the number of legs increases.

#19 Drone

Drone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted October 22 2012 - 01:26 AM

4 legged is cool, but its brutal to properly animate. (know from experience) but if done right looks SO DAMN SWEET! The trick is to mirror your animations with opposite limbs, but stagger them slightly to give them a more natural appearance, then make sure to move the upper torso forward and back synchronized off of what would be the hind legs forward push.

for example, light 4 legged mechs would move like a jumping spider. I beta tested Perpetuum and they used to have like some super speed twitchy leg movement for the quadrupeds that looked like trash, I suggested some alternate movements and gave them some references with spiders. They made an update to their animations and it turned out really great! The next thing I told them was not to copy EVE because its a niche market mmo wise... they didn't listen to that part :x However! They were recently greenlit on steam which will do WONDERS for them!

check the video above for movement before the changes @ 6:10

check the video above for movement after the changes @ 19:45

*edit* also if you get up to a high enough speed, the spider mech here will start bounding like a jumping spider, it looks awesome!

cheers!

Edited by Drone, October 22 2012 - 01:48 AM.

This platform is ready. Come at us...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
www.blacksteelbrotherhood.enjin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users