This is absurd for 5 reasons:
- You broke your promotion-for-callsign deal *as it existed at the time*.
- Your naming rules placate fearmongers and punish people who helped you promote this game. What happens if you get an angry Christian bitching for me using the name? Nothing, you ignore them. Simple as that.
- You did not even have the common courtesy to notify people of the inception of the naming rules or the name-reset.
- You have control over what goes into your database and gets validated as a username, not me. It's your fault it was in there at all, live with your mistake. Don't force me to contact your stupid Support department for something you failed to prevent.
- Your database should not be designed to even allow for this behavior. Either a name passes validation - WHICH, ACCORDING TO COMMON SENSE SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN EFFECT BEFORE YOU HAND OUT NAMES - and it gets in the DB, or it doesn't. Whoever thought this pipe dream up ought to be fired.
Expect a barrage of Click-to-Tweet spam tomorrow. In your efforts to respect religious people, you have disrespected a person who was all too happy to promote your game for you in a tangible way, by retroactively enforcing rules meant to placate people who believe their religion gets to change how other people operate in the real world. You don't get to deal with people and renege this way without some backlash.
So pick your poison: angry spammers over the use of a name (which, as it happens, is also a common first name in the Latino ethnicity), or angry Christians over the same thing who probably don't know what Click-to-Tweet is, or have thousands of subscribers willing to use it.
So there you go, get to changing my name back to "ObviouslyJesus" as soon as possible. Thanks for bothering me today, please feel free to admit your mistake and never do it again to ensure minimal embarrassment in the future.
Edited by mechpilot5002, November 10 2012 - 01:35 AM.